Club app icon

Pitchero Club

The official Selby RUFC app


Senior Colts - Match centre

Scarborough Junior Colts
Selby Junior Colts
Sun 7 Oct 12:00 - Friendly Full time

Exciting Win for Selby's Junior Colts - Two Match Reports


Report by Harrison Green and Ed Reid

Ed Reid Writes:

In sunny but breezy conditions, Selby travelled to Scarborough with a squad made up predominately of U17s. The sides appeared very evenly matched in the first 10 minutes, but Selby were the first to trouble the scorers with a really nicely-finished try by Jacob Gabel in the left corner after great forwards play and swift hands from half-backs James Dugher and James Bramley.0-5.

Selby resisted Scarborough’s strong response with Joe Ramsey leading the defensive line with 3 crunching tackles in a row. This enabled Selby to retake the initiative, ultimately spinning the ball out to Noah Dobson on the right wing for a fantastic pacey finish. 0-10. Scarborough then capitalised on Selby’s defence dropping their guard for a 15 minute period, and went over for 3 converted tries before half time; 21-10.

In the second half, Selby responded strongly, and the pressure they exerted enabled Tom Fletcher to break away from a scrum close to Scarborough’s try line, spinning out of 2 unsuccessful tackle attempts and using his strength to go over under the posts. 21-17. The match was really tightly poised, and Scarborough were in the ascendancy, inside Selby’s 22. Dan Reid spotted a chance when the home team’s backs were trying to pass it wide, and intercepted. He then managed to run the ball ¾ of the pitch and go over under the posts. 21-24. Scarborough weren’t done though, scoring one more to take the lead with 10 minutes to go. They threatened for the remaining period, but Selby resisted with some terrific tackling, lead by Sam Bond at centre. Selby had one last attack left in the them, and through a fantastic team effort created a sliver of space on the left-hand side on Scarborough’s 22. Luke Fisher on the left wing backed himself, and went around the outside of the home side’s defence to finish the game 26-31.

Both teams had acquitted themselves really well, and played the game in great spirits.

Harrison Green Writes:

A cold, crisp morning gave perfect conditions for Selby’s Junior Colts match away against Scarborough Junior Colts. After losing against Otley recently, Selby were determined to regain some control and get back to winning ways.

For the first ten minutes of the match, both teams seemed to be trying to figure each other out. However, it was Selby who struck first, causing Scarborough to make an offensive mistake, which Selby capitalised on by making great yards, which eventually led to Jacob Gabel going over for the first score of the game. The conversion was missed unfortunately, which led to a 5-0 lead from Selby. For the next 5 minutes, Selby looked in control, using great hands to play wide. These great hands led to another try by Selby, with Noah Dobson collecting the ball just in front of 22 and going in over the line to make the score 10-0 Selby. However, Scarborough were not willing to let Selby run away with the lead, as they mounted some good pressure, and managed to win a penalty 5 yards out from Selby’s try line. Some scrappy defence saw Scarborough immediately score after the penalty, and the converted kick made the score 10-7. Scarborough’s first try seemed to uplift their sprits, as they started to mount even more pressure on Selby. Some great hands gave Scarborough some space out wide, which led to a great run by a Scarborough player, going the full length to score under the sticks. The conversion was good and Selby’s lead was taken away. 14-10 to Scarborough. For some time, Selby looked as though they were wanting to get their lead back as they began applying some pressure of their own. However, after some sloppy tackling and defence, Selby saw themselves again concede a penalty 5 yards out of their try line. And once again, Scarborough scored and lifted their lead to 21-10.

The second half saw a very different game from Selby. Selby had finally figured out that playing wide was the best way to score, and not long after kick-off, Selby saw some daylight, and a great team try, scored by Dan Reid, gave Selby some hope. The conversion was scored, making the score 21-17. For some time, Selby and Scarborough seemed to be in a stalemate with neither team making any scores. It seemed like this was going to happen for the rest of the game until Selby managed to make more yards and find themselves in Scarborough’s 22. This led to Tom Fletcher bouncing his way under Scarborough’s posts to put Selby in front and an easy conversion for Henry Bayston. 24-21 to Selby. However, in the mist of Selby’s celebrations, disaster struck as Scarborough took advantage of again some poor tackling from Selby to score in the corner. The conversion was missed, and Scarborough were once again in front with the score at 26-24. To make matters worse for Selby, Henry Bayston was shown yellow. With only 5 minutes left, Selby needed a miracle. This miracle came from Scarborough making a huge mistake in their own half which saw Selby take control of the ball and fire it wide. Luke Fisher received the pass and using some good footwork and pace, beat Scarborough’s defenders to score the winning try, with Joe Ramsey scoring the conversion. For the last minute of the game, Selby retained the ball, and the ref blew for full time. 31-26 to Selby.

A great win by the Junior Colts and some great determination to come back and win the game.

Team selection

Team selection has not been published for this fixture yet.


Loading comments

Team sponsors


Club sponsors